Sunday, July 15, 2007

A Fun Trip...

Late Saturday afternoon, my friend, *M*, called and asked if I had anything planned for that evening. I didn't. Her next sentence started with: "Would you like to go...." and I said let me check with WonderHusband. We drove up to her house and then got in her car and went---
To the 2007 Mohican North American Indian PowWow!!!!

Now, I'll tell you this is a fun, Fun, FUN, thing to do! They have Storytellers, musicians, dancers, crafts, and FOOD! I had the absolutely best elk burger on fry bread!! And you could get fry bread with honey, OR maple syrup, OR cinnamon & sugar, OR just sugar! You could get fry bread filled with buffalo chili, OR buffalo stampede (wild onions, mushrooms, and several types of peppers), OR cheese and vegetables. I think if they could have figured a way to serve drinks in the fry bread, they would have, but, hey, I LOVE ME SOME FRY BREAD!!!

This year's focus was on the Aztec and South American Indian cultures. They had musicians from Argentina, Peru, and Guatemala. They, also, had hand made crafts from villages all along the Andes Mountain Range. What a wonderful time it was!!!

I love watching the dance competitions! AND the children were just so adorable in their tribal costumes, I just wanted to bring home about 5 or 20 to show them off! Well, here's some pics for your enjoyment:
These musicians are from Argentina.

The Flag Ceremony & Honoring the Veterans



One of the Inter-Tribal Dances
One of the ADORABLE children!

1 comment:

*Posh* said...

Awwwwh Fry Bread! I love Fry Bread! Not sure where this Pow Wow was, but I've been known to drive 9 hours to a Pow Wow to have me some Fry Bread! Pow Wows are a Spiritual happening for Indian folks. Their Regalia (attire) is created unique to their inner Spirit - a gift from God, our Creator. Nothing like a Pow Wow. Well, yes there is. Going to church. When the People dance in the Circle, they are dancing to our Creator. The same Spiritual connection with Creator, or God - whichever you choose. Those are beautiful pics!