Every couple of weeks there are these 4 little ladies that come into my branch to do their banking. They are ABSOLUTELY the sweetest little things I've ever met in my entire 47 years!! Two of the ladies have been best friends since high school and when they married, their husbands bought houses across the street from each other just so these two ladies could stay close. The other two ladies somehow became friends with the first two at some point in the past 30 or 40 years.
The one lady that I wanted to write about is a transplant from somewhere in the Deep South. She has never lost one bit of her accent, nor has she ever dropped a bit of her Southern Gentility!!! This sweet thing is the one customer that I would just about do hand-to-hand combat with one of the other tellers to get to wait on. Thankfully, she likes me, and unless I'm really, Really, REALLY busy, she will usually wait for me to take care of her. Our conversations usually go something along these lines:
Me: Well, hello! How are you doing today, Mrs. L?
L: Helloooo, Sugah! I'm so glad you ah heah and can help me. I think I've really made a mess this heah time. You don't think I've gone into the negative do you, Sugah? Oh, deah, I really hope I haven't, but I'm sure you all will fix me ri-ight up. You ah such a deah! (This is all said very quickly with no breath!)
Me: Let's take a look. (check account) Mrs. L, I think you are fine. You have $x in your account right now.
L: Ah you shuah, Sugah? Oh, wouldn't that be heavenly!
Me: Let me check your register against my computer, and we'll make absolutely sure. (Do the math, check the computer.)
Me: Yes, I'm absolutely sure. All of your checks are in, and everything in correct. You really do have $x in your account.
L: Oh, Sugah, you are soooo gooood to me!
L: Alrighty, then. I think I need to cash a check so I have a little money to spend. My hands shake sooo bad, Sugah, do you think it would be alright if I just signed my name and you filled everything else out? I just can't abide a messy check, and I would have dreams of my teacher disciplining me for poor penmanship. Would you mind, Sugah?
By the time I finally get her taken care of and she's ready to go out the door, I've usually been "Sugah'd" eleventy billion times. I don't care! I love her accent. I love her manners. AND I love the fact that she NEVER comes in grouchy or out of sorts! I wish all of my elderly customers were like her.
4 comments:
How sweet! And my but you do wriiite so gooood in southern, sugah...er, uh....ah mean, Theresa! *smile* I could picture and hear the whole thing!!!
"eleventy billion times" YOU ARE A REAL BLOGGER NOW MOMMY!!!
Ah yes... the south. Good food, great manners, and the accent that so many love. I am not so keen on it, but I LOVE the other two.
She sounds just like my grandmother. How funny!
Post a Comment