I recently re-read "The Scarlet Letter", which is one of my favorite old school books. I don't think I ever fully thanked Ms. King, in 9th grade Literature, for introducing me to this book. I have probably re-read it at least once every other year since then. (and that is a lot of re-reads, believe me! ; ) )
I was talking with Liz about the theme of the book yesterday while we were in the car after her divorce hearing.
The thing that always strikes me with a fresh awareness, is the fact that you can admit your sin, repent of it, and change and life really does go on--most times even better than before. OR you can try to cover it up, run from it, hide it, refuse to be forgiven and it will eat you alive.
We were talking about this because a friend is refusing to believe that they have been forgiven, so they are running. They are running from friends that care about them. They are running from God. They think they are running from themselves, but we all know, you can't do that--you go with yourself every step.
The thing they don't understand, is they are running carrying a 100 lb. weight that they don't have to carry. THEY'VE BEEN FORGIVEN!!! They don't need to carry the guilt, so if they would just lay it down, they could stop running.
If you haven't read "The Scarlet Letter" in a while, take a few days to do so. Get a fresh glimpse of the power of being forgiven and accepting forgiveness.
2 comments:
This is a great thought. I have a person in my life who is also running and carrying when she doesn't have to - and it is heartbreaking to see and feel the pain that continues because she won't drop a mistake and pick up forgiveness. :)
And I am really going to have to read The Scarlet Letter again soon.
I, too, have a friend....she is an older lady, in her 70's....who has carried something with her for decades because she just doesn't believe that the Lord and her family can ever forgive her. I told her that that is just a lie from the pit, to keep her bound, to keep her from knowing the true freedom and liberty that God has for her. It frustrates me so, for her. I continue to pray for her.
Post a Comment